Hola, Pedro?

An interesting article came across my Google Reader just now.  There is some talk about maybe the Cardinals offering Pedro Martinez a contract as a closer.  I'm not too sure how I feel on this one.  Pedro has far and away been one of the top pitchers in baseball for the last decade, but he has hit a bit of a wall in the last year or so.  If he's feeling good, he would definitely be worth it.  If he's back in tip-top shape, forget the closer role and move him to the rotation.

I think a rotation with Carpenter, Wainwright, Lohse, Martinez and Wellenmeyer would suddenly look like one of the best rotations in baseball.  Of course, this assumes the health of Carpenter and Martinez, as well as the continued production of Lohse and Wellenmeyer.  

Of course, if Pedro is also in good shape, I think he would do a fine job closing the door, which is where the Cardinals really faltered last season.  If they hadn't blown half of the saves that they did, the Cardinals would have been in the playoffs last year.  He wouldn't be the first starter turned closer for the LaRussa/Duncan coaching combination.  I'm not saying Pedro is the next Eck, but I am saying that they made the transition work for other pitchers in the past.

0 comments: