15 Favorite Albums

A friend of mine tagged me in a note on Facebook entitled, "15 Most Life Changing Albums."  I won't say that these albums will change your life, but they all certainly have played some kind of roll in mine.  I've also included my favorite songs from those albums.  Check out Lala.com if you want to listen to them.  It's free, and you can listen to the song all the way through one time before you decide if you want to download it.  So, here they are, in no particular order.

Lonely Runs Both Ways – Alison Krauss & Union Station
This was probably the first Alison Krauss album that I ever heard.  I absolutely love her voice; it is one of the clearest and beautiful voices in the music industry today.  
Best Song - “Living Prayer”

Redemption Songs – Jars of Clay
Awesome takes on some classic hymns.  Done only as Jars of Clay can do.  
Best Song – “I Need Thee Every Hour”

No Name Face – Lifehouse
I will listen to this album over and over again.  
Best Song – “Everything”

Hybrid Theory – Linkin Park
Seems like a strange one to have on this list, doesn’t it?  A friend of mine was looking at some of the CDs that I had in my car one day, and he said that my music collection looked a lot like his.  I could either be an old woman or an angry teenager.  Some of the songs on here help me understand some of where teenagers are coming from; some help me understand where I am.  
Best Song – “In the End”

Why Should the Fire Die? – Nickel Creek
First taste of non-Alison Krauss bluegrass.  Very good.  Could have seen them in concert in Lexington, but missed out.  
Best Song – “Doubting Thomas”

Once Upon a Shattered Life – Seventh Day Slumber
First time I listened to this album, I just about cried at a few songs because of the heart that comes through in the lyrics.  The lead singer has a great story, and you need to hear it.  If they ever play near you, go.  It’s not a concert.  It’s a worship experience and a ministry.  
Best Song – “Masquerade”

Third Day – Third Day
Probably my first exposure to Christian alternative rock.  They don’t quite have the same sound any more, but this album was awesome.  
Best Song – “Thief”

Deep Enough to Dream – Chris Rice
Chris Rice is my ultimate chill music (apart from Alison Krauss).  If I really just need to relax, this is one of the albums that goes in every time.  
Best Song – “Hallelujahs”

Jars of Clay – Jars of Clay
I originally owned the tape.  Yes, that’s right.  I still own tapes, in fact.  It would be the only thing in my car, and I would listen to it time and time again for months on end.  
Best Song – “Worlds Apart”

Strong Tower – Kutless
More of a worship album than I usually listen to.  One time, on the way home from work in Lexington, I was stuck in traffic, and this was the only CD I had in the car at the time.  It took me nearly two hours to make it home that day, and this album is what kept me from losing my cool and getting totally ticked off, which was good because I had a preaching class that night.  
Best Song – “Arms of Love”

End of Silence – Red
From the first time I heard Red, I really liked them.  I heard them in concert and was not impressed.  Regardless, this is still one of my favorite alternative rock albums.  
Best Song – “Pieces”

Collide – Skillet
This album is pedal to the metal from the first track.  It rocks.  Simply rocks.  
Best Song – “Savior”

The Waiting – The Waiting
The Waiting kind of fell of the map, but this is one of my favorite albums as well.  The lyrics throughout just make you stop and think.  
Best Song – “Hands in the Air”

A Hundred Miles or More: A Collection – Alison Krauss
This song is pretty much straight Alison Krauss.  It’s not that I don’t like Union Station, I just much prefer to listen to Ms. Krauss by herself.  There are some good duets on this album as well.  Definitely worth listening to.  
Best Song – “Whiskey Lullaby”

Lord of the Rings, Original Soundtrack - Howard Shore
Now I realize that this is more than one album, so maybe I'm cheating a little here.  But this series of movies are probably my favorite that are out there right now.  The music just adds to the experience.
Best Song - "Gollum's Song" on The Two Towers

0 comments: