The Unexpected Evolution of a Day

Things change - a reality more often than not. It's amazing how plans can be altered with one phone call... or in the case of yesterday 90 missed calls + 1 received.

After I woke up Katie to get ready for the movie, my phone (which had been sitting in my shorts on vibrate at the foot of the bed) started buzzing. It was Kelly, Katie's sister. She had been trying to get ahold of us for about 3 hours. Katie's mom was in the hospital having an apendectomy. In a flash, we were both dressed and headed down to IU Medical Center in downtown Indianapolis - where we proceeded to stay for the next 10+ hours.

I'm a pretty flexible person. I can go with the flow most of the time, and this was definitely one of those times that flexibility was the order of the day. We sat with her mom all day long, even though, as I told Gloria, "You're really boring after surgery." She was in and out most of the day... mostly out. It's amazing what a little morphine can do. We are hoping that she'll be able to go home today.

Katie is taking a personal day, and is doing some work on her laptop at home. Unfortunately, I can't do the same. I have about 3 meetings all before noon today, and I have some big events to get ready for in the next couple of weeks, not to mention follow-up phone calls and appointments to schedule. That's the thing about being gone for half the month - there's so much more work to do, and I was about worthless from 1:30pm on Monday, so I didn't get nearly as much done as I was hoping.

Anyway. Still haven't seen The Dark Knight. Still have to do some cleaning for the people that are staying the night tonight. Still have to decide what to do about dinner. Oh, and by the way, Chris Carpenter is starting for the Cardinals tonight. We'll see how he looks. His return could be far better than any trade that they could have made at this point. Now, if only Wainwright would come back, Mulder would get back to form and Clement would get healthy....

0 comments: