Excited about a Bible?

I don't get excited very often. When the Cardinals won the World Series in 2006, I was on the phone with my dad and when the final out was recorded, I merely smiled and raised my fist (into the ceiling... we had a really low ceiling in that place...) in victory - as if I really had anything to do with it in the first place. When the Colts won the Super Bowl, I was happy. Well, kinda, they beat my other favorite team to do it. When I received the news that I was going to be the associate pastor at my current church, after months of uncertainty, I was relieved and slightly scared. However, I found something today that got me excited.

There are about 10,734 different versions of the Bible in print right about now. Now, I don't know that for a fact, but it sounds about right. Far and away, my favorite is the English Standard Version (ESV). Every time I've translated Scripture from the Greek, the ESV has always been the closest to what I have translated. Yes, I do look at my Greek New Testament from time to time. I just found out today that the ESV is coming out with an uber-deluxe study Bible, due out in October. This thing looks amazing! Cross-references, study notes, pictures, maps, articles, introductions... I can hardly contain myself!!!! I don't typically have a Christmas list, but this year I do, and there is one thing on it.

I guess of all the things in the world to get excited about, the Bible is certainly one thing that most people don't get excited about too often, and that's a shame. The best-selling book of all time, the most influential book of all time, and the book that has had the biggest impact on history, and yet, most people don't care too much about it. I guess this just goes to show that there is a lot of work left to do. So hurry up, and get me a copy of this for Christmas... or Halloween. We don't get enough Halloween gifts around here...

2 comments:

Katie Kermeen Swisher said...

You know what's going to happen, don't you? I'm going to get you this for Christmas. And so is your mother. And so is my mother. And so is Kelly.

Seth said...

Hey Swishmaster, drop me a link to this uber-tome if you can, it sounds like something I would love to get my hands on as well!