The Cost of a Son

In the new movie, Clash of the Titans (which I realize isn't new, but it just got redone and came out in theaters) near the end, there is a very interesting line that has stuck with me. It was something along the lines of: "I wanted them to worship us again, but I didn't want it to cost me a son."

The line is said by Zeus to his son Perseus, who we find out is a demigod - half man, half god. The main thrust of the movie is that humanity has decided to stop worshiping the gods. The gods feed off the prayers of humanity, that is how they maintain their immortality. Zeus is concerned with making sure that people continue praying to the gods, and out of desperation, is convinced to allow Hades drive them to fear the gods.

Perseus is on a quest to stop Hades from destroying Argos, and at the same time, exact some measure of revenge on him for killing his family. Zeus finds out that Perseus is alive and tries to help him in his quest. It's pretty clear that Zeus does care about Perseus as his own son, even though he wasn't aware of his existence until recently.

When it's all said and done, Zeus says his line which is quoted above: I wanted them to worship us again, but I didn't want it to cost me a son. This is where the Greek gods of mythology differ from the Almighty Creator of the world. While I don't think that God wanted to give his Son, it was the only way. Zeus is selfish about his love for his son. God gives his son because it is what is best for the whole world. Zeus wants worship because it keeps him immortal. God wants worship because it is the proper response to His holiness and love, grace and mercy.

I don't know if it was coincidence or irony that this movie was released on Easter weekend, especially with that line near the end. I think in some sense, maybe God didn't want our relationship with Him to cost a son, but the reality is that it was the only way.

0 comments: