Baseball's Offseason Awards... Conclusion

Well, the offseason awards for major league baseball have all been announced, and I'd have to say that, for the most part, they look pretty good.  

Pujols was named the MVP of the NL, for which I am very grateful.  It is his second award, and if you ask me, it should be his third or fourth, but nobody really asked.  

Second-year player Dustin Pedroia won the MVP in the American League.  Like I've said before, I don't pay all that much attention to the AL, so I'm not going to argue with that decision all that much either.  

The managers of the year aren't all that surprising.  Lou Pinella led the Cubbies to the best record in the NL (only to be swept in the first round of the playoffs... again... haha!) and won the NL manager of the year.  I'm not crazy about this selection because I think that LaRussa did a whole lot more with a whole lot less... and because I don't like the Cubbies, but I can understand the selection.  Joe Maddon was the no-doubt winner of the AL manager of the year.  With as big of a turn around as the Rays had this season, and primarily without any major offseason moves, I think it would have been terrible if anybody else won the award.

Finally, the AL Cy Young was awarded to Cliff Lee.  Much like Lincecum in the NL, Lee had a fantastic season on a sub-par team.

All in all, I think the awards were pretty well on the button this season.  I disagreed with a couple of selections, but not so much that I felt as though some people got totally shafted this year.  Now that baseball is completely done, I must turn my attention to the "Hot Stove" part of the season - you know, the part where most of what is said is utter speculation and rarely comes to fruition.  But don't worry, spring is around the corner.

0 comments: