Movie Tour: Dinner with Schmucks

We had our annual Tayla Day to celebrate our oldest niece's 14th (yikes!) birthday.  We had a great lunch at Logan's Roadhouse, and went to see Dinner with Schmucks with Steve Carell and Paul Rudd.

Plot Summary
Dinner with Schmucks is about a guy who is working to get a promotion, and to play the corporate game (so to speak), he has to find a total moron to take to a dinner that is hosted by his boss.  Initially, he was going to have no part of it, but, as fate would have it, he happens to run into a guy who fits the description perfectly.  What I found most interesting is that while the movie is entitled "Dinner with Schmucks" and most of what you see in the trailers is the dinner, the dinner itself is not really a focal point of the movie.  It is all the events in the 24 hours leading up to the dinner that take center stage.

Review
This movie was a lot like Year One for me.  I found myself laughing through a lot of the movie, even though several parts of it were horribly inappropriate.  It was slightly more recognizable to me because my 14 year old niece was sitting right next to me.  There are parts of the movie that are so outrageously uncomfortable that I wanted to get up and go to the bathroom just so I would get a break.

Recommendation
Ehhh.... I'm not sure.  If you aren't easily offended, you may like this movie.  The uncomfortable parts are really, really uncomfortable.  The sexual humor is laid on pretty thick as well.  I would not highly recommend it, but if you like movies like American Pie, Year One, etc., you'll probably like this one as well.

Best Part
Steve Carell plays his role perfectly.  He plays a total moron, but you don't get the sense that he's going "full retard" as Tropic Thunder puts it.  Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords is also in this movie, and he is absolutely hilarious.

0 comments: