Nightline Question

Does God have a future? That's the question that Nightline is posing in their "Face-Off" series. The debate came out of a long-standing "rivalry" between Deepak Chopra and former fundamentalist, now "professional debunker of pseudo-science," Michael Schermer.

I find it very interesting in reading this article how quickly this debate became about the science of it all. And the question in the article sums up human hubris very aptly. The writer says, "Are we at a time in history when the argument can now actually be settled? Given all that we know today about the cosmos and life on Earth, is science killing God -- or can it bring us closer to him? Does God -- or should God -- have a future?"

The very way that this is all set up is to conclude that we can use science to either confirm God's existence or to debunk it. Quite frankly, in spite of all the rhetoric on both sides, the simple truth is that there is no way to know. Now, as a pastor, I firmly believe that there is a God. There have been things that happened in my life that leave me with no doubt (okay, on a bad day, there's always some doubt, but you know what I mean). But if you ask me to scientifically prove that God exists, then forget about it. I can't do that.

What I can do is look at the world around, examine the experiences that I've had in my life, and make a logical assumption based on those things. Clearly, I firmly believe that God exists, but don't ask me to start talking about neuro-science to prove it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if we can completely wrap our minds around God, then maybe our concept of God is too small. If we think we can quantify God, then maybe we have nothing more than an idol that makes us feel better about our life.

The most important three words that I can say sometimes is simply, "I don't know." I'll tell you how God has worked in my life, but I can't tell you, nor can anybody else, about the "science" behind it all. God is bigger than that, and if He is not, then He is not God.

0 comments: