Best Movies of 2009

...according to Entertainment Weekly.

List #1 by Owen Gleiberman
10. Adventureland
9. The Hurt Locker
8. The Girlfriend Experience
7. Fantastic Mr. Fox
6. (500) Days of Summer
5. Food, Inc.
4. I Love You, Man
3. Precious
2. Inglorious Basterds
1. Up in the Air

List #2 by Lisa Schwarzbaum
10. Everlasting Moments
9. District 9
8. Big Fan
7. A Serious Man
6. Fantastic Mr. Fox
5. Where the Wild Things Are
4. Up in the Air
3. Coraline
2. Up
1. The Hurt Locker

And here's my Top 5 movies for this year as of right now (keeping in mind that I currently want to see Avatar and The Road, if it ever comes out to wide release):

Honorable Mentions: Up, Law Abiding Citizen, and G.I. Joe
Up Law Abiding Citizen G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

The Proposal
It's surprising, you may think, that I put this movie on my list, considering that I probably would not have watched it, if my lovely wife hadn't picked it out. However, I found it to be pretty funny. Reynolds and Bullock work out very well together. Betty White is pretty funny as well, and as somebody who hates Golden Girls with a passion that burns with the fire of a thousand suns, that's saying a lot.

Star Trek
What is so great about this movie is that you don't have to be a Trekkie to love it. It was certainly one of the most anticipated movies of the year, and unlike another sci-fi, much-anticipated blockbuster (*cough* Transformers *cough**cough*), it didn't disappoint. It's a good story filled with some great action.

The Men Who Stare at Goats
I loved this movie. It was the only movie that I saw in the theaters twice this year, and I would probably go see it again. It is certainly a screwball comedy of sorts. The interesting thing is that I can't pick out a single scene that encapsulates the entire movie for me. I found myself laughing at the random hilarity all throughout the movie. It's one that I could watch over and over again.

Terminator Salvation
It may seem strange to see this one listed as my #2 movie for the year, but the more that I thought about it, the more I really enjoyed this movie. It is one of two that really had me on the edge of my seat throughout most of the movie. It is intense, and I loved it. Ironic considering I don't even really like the original Terminator, but I have liked all of the sequels.

District 9
I didn't really know what to expect when I went to see this movie. I was making it a double-feature Sunday because G.I. Joe was playing right after it. I had seen a couple of the previews, and thought it looked interesting, but I didn't know what to expect. What I got was amazing. It is very violent and there is a lot of cussing, but I really feel like this was the best movie that I've seen all year long.


1 comments:

Katie Kermeen Swisher said...

I think we should make it a point to see all the movies on those two lists. There are so many that came out this year that we haven't seen!! Like that one with my TV boyfriend John...