Summer Movie Tour: Terminator Salvation

Now this is what you want in a summer movie - non-stop action, unexpected turns, and a whole lot of explosions!  Let me begin by saying that if you're looking for an Academy award winning movie, then don't go see this, but for those who have at least the slightest interest in big-time summer movies - this is a great way to kick it into high gear.

For those unfamiliar with the Terminator series, I'm not going to go into too much depth explaining the what's and why's of the movie, but here's a brief summary.  It is set in the year 2018.  Judgement Day has happened.  Skynet had become self-aware and set itself on a path of human eradication.  We come in right in the middle of a war.

If the trailers and previews hadn't given it away, you would be hard-pressed to realize that Marcus Wright was, in fact, mostly machine.  About the only thing that gave it away was the fact that over about a two-three day journey, his companions eat, but he never does.  It's really subtle, and I can't say that I would have picked up on it if I didn't already know.  However, Marcus is still more man than machine, a fact that Skynet failed to take into consideration when it made him.  Regardless, that's not the only surprise awaiting viewers.  I so very much want to spill the beans, but it would seriously take away from part of the movie for those who are actually going to see it.  So I'll say this - it's worth taking the time to see this one.

My assessment: In case you cannot tell, I really enjoyed this one.  Even the previews were fantastic (Transformers, Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, Surrogates, Sherlock Holmes, and a couple others).  Everything that you want in a big-action summer movie.

My recommendation: See it in the theaters.  Everything is so big in this movie that you'll miss a little bit in translation to the small screen.  And if you are headed out to see it, let me know - I wouldn't mind seeing it again!

0 comments: