Summer Movie Tour: Watchmen

Summer is a big time for the movies, and this year isn't any different.  However, this year, I plan on seeing quite a few.   And, hey, why not let you in on what I'm seeing, and you can decide if you want to see them too.  Or you'll find out that we have totally different taste in movies... either way, it ought to be fun!

The first movie on this tour isn't really a summer movie, since it came out sometime in the spring; however, I'm starting here anyway.

Watchmen was interesting.  The plot is unique in this Hollywood age of reboots and rehashing of old storylines.  It is set in an alternative present.  Richard Nixon is president.  America crushed the opposition in Vietnam.  Superheroes are just regular people who get dressed up in funny costumes (with one exception, the freakishly blue and frequently naked Dr. Manhattan; yes, it's as disturbing as it sounds).

Watchmen gives us a glimpse of the kind of life that a hero would lead in this kind of world.  And it's a dark, morally gray lifestyle.  The action sequences are incredible.  The music really helps set the tone.  The picture itself is unique, very dark overall.  It was done by the same person who did 300, a movie that intrigues me in how it is produced.  However, I like 300 a whole lot more.

My overall assessment: the violence, language and nudity are bad in Watchmen.  For those reasons alone, I don't recommend seeing it.  It's not one that I think I'll watch again, although it did make me think and was intriguing.

Recommendation: your life won't be missing anything if you never see it.

0 comments: