Summer Movie Tour: Ghosts of Girlfriends Past

This is the last in a string of reviews that gets me caught up in what I've already seen on the big screen this year.

I'll have to admit, I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of this movie.  After watching it, I'm still a little baffled as to why they released it in May instead of holding out until November.  It is a a twist on A Christmas Carol, in which Connor Mead is the miser.  Only it's not money he's holding onto, it's love.

Connor learned the fast-life of no commitment, cheap sex and the "myth of love" from his uncle who helped raise him and his little brother after their parents died in a car crash.  It is the weekend of his brother's wedding, and Connor, in all seriousness, tries to talk him out of it as soon as he arrives at his deceased uncle's estate, where the wedding will take place.  After making a total jerk of himself at the rehearsal dinner, Connor is met by his dead uncle who tells him that he will be visited by three ghosts over the course of the night.  Connor revisits his past, sees some things in the present, and observes a possible future during the night, all of which lead him into a different place in his life.

My assessment: While I knew it was going to be a "chick-flick," I was also interested in seeing how they would translate A Christmas Carol into this type of setting.  Overall, I think they did a pretty good job.  There is a lot of talk about sex, but nothing is actually shown, and I don't remember the language being very offensive either.

My recommendation: It's worth seeing.  I would say that it could wait for DVD because there is nothing set on such a grand scale that it would be lost in translation from the big screen to the small screen.  It's definitely entertaining, and worth a couple hours of your time.

The summer movie tour will be a little more spaced out now, but there are definitely a handful of movies that I want to see soon, some of which are already out: Star Trek, Terminator: Salvation, Night at the Museum, Up... and that's just what is coming out in the next couple of weeks!  It's going to be a good summer.

1 comments:

MK said...

Good review. :) I've been thinking about seeing this movie. Maybe you can convince Joseph? :) Can't wait to see you guys!!!!