Titus 1:10-16; 2:7-8

Titus 1:10-16
There are also many rebellious people, idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision; 11 they must be silenced, since they are upsetting whole families by teaching for sordid gain what it is not right to teach. 12 It was one of them, their very own prophet, who said, "Cretans are always liars, vicious brutes, lazy gluttons." 13 That testimony is true. For this reason rebuke them sharply, so that they may become sound in the faith, 14 not paying attention to Jewish myths or to commandments of those who reject the truth. 15 To the pure all things are pure, but to the corrupt and unbelieving nothing is pure. Their very minds and consciences are corrupted. 16 They profess to know God, but they deny him by their actions. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.

Titus 2:7-8
7 Show yourself in all respects a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, gravity, 8 and sound speech that cannot be censured; then any opponent will be put to shame, having nothing evil to say of us.

As I read these passages, the biblical scholar inside of me wants to look at the structure of what Paul is saying throughout the book, which wouldn’t be too difficult to do as it is only three chapters. I want to explore the Greek syntax and look at the structural relationship of contrast between the first passage and the second. Clearly I have Inductive Bible Study on my mind, and why not? It’s the only class I’ve had to this point today. However, I think I might miss something in doing all that work. I know, it seems strange. How could I microscopically pick apart an entire passage and miss something? But I do it all the time. I think part of it is the nature of the living Word, but part of it also has to do with my personal failings at digging deeper than just the surface, casual Sunday school Bible study level. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Sunday school Bible study, but usually it doesn’t go deep enough. I could make a living writing decent Bible studies for Sunday school classes and still not develop myself or my readers in a closer walk and understanding of the Lord.

As I read over and over again, one phrase sticks out in my mind – “set them an example.” Maybe it is because I’ve been feeling convicted lately over my rush to get things done and not spend enough time with the Lord in the silence of the morning or afternoon. I get time in, but that does nothing more than check it off of some list in my head. Is this the kind of example that I want to set? Is this the kind of mentality I would want the people in my congregations to display when it comes to the most important aspect of one’s life? No, it’s not good enough. It’s not good enough to simply do the work just to get it done. All of the exegetical work that I referred to at the beginning of this journal is great, but not if it wears me out for the really important part, the meat, of what God is trying to say in the passage to a world that is lost without Him, then I have lost something very important that I cannot get back without twice as much blood, sweat and tears. And if I, a future pastor, cannot seem to find the time to devote adequate study time to what God has to say to a hurting world, how can I expect the same from those who choose to show up on Sunday morning?

Just some musings from a traveling pilgrim.

0 comments: