Psalm 19

Psalm 19:1-14 The heavens are telling the glory of God; and the firmament proclaims his handiwork. 2 Day to day pours forth speech, and night to night declares knowledge. 3 There is no speech, nor are there words; their voice is not heard; 4 yet their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In the heavens he has set a tent for the sun, 5 which comes out like a bridegroom from his wedding canopy, and like a strong man runs its course with joy. 6 Its rising is from the end of the heavens, and its circuit to the end of them; and nothing is hid from its heat.

7 The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the decrees of the LORD are sure, making wise the simple; 8 the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eyes; 9 the fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. 10 More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey, and drippings of the honeycomb. 11 Moreover by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.

12 But who can detect their errors? Clear me from hidden faults. 13 Keep back your servant also from the insolent; do not let them have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression. 14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.
----------------

I had a little bit of trouble at first with this passage. I think it was because it was the liturgy in chapel last Thursday. The first few times I read through it, the liturgical aspect kept interfering with my actual reading of the passage. However, once I was able to push that out of my mind, a couple of things really stuck out to me.

First, “reviving the soul.” I begin to think of Ezekiel and the valley of the dry bones. I wonder how this represents me in my current walk. At times I have felt like nothing more than dry bones that have desperately needed to be formed from the dust. I have especially felt this over the past few weeks, as I have fallen out of rhythm with my means of grace. Isn’t it amazing how discipline can slip when free time opens up? I have been in a rut lately. I get my reading done just so I can get it done. I skip meals more often than I fast. I think of praying more often than I actually pray. I am nothing but dry bones. But I know that God is ready, willing and able to revive my soul. What I don’t know is how much that is true of myself.

What does it mean to be a new creation in Christ? What does it mean to come to life after being nothing but dry bones? The soul is the deepest part of a person. Sometimes it is so deep that some refuse to believe that it is even there. I believe my soul is there, waiting to be revived by the Lord, waiting for me to be ready for such a revival in my own life. Physically and spiritually, I am ready for such revival in my personal life. Mentally… I think I’m scared. But why? If indeed the “law of the Lord is perfect… the statutes of the Lord are trustworthy… the precepts of the Lord are right… the commands of the Lord are radiant… the fear of the Lord is pure… and the ordinances of the Lord are sure and altogether righteous,” then what have I to fear? Every person wants to be the master of his/her domain. It is scary when we have to give up that so-called “right.” But is that really a right? Or is it something that we merely think we are entitled to?

There is new life in Christ. There is the opportunity to have our souls revived. All we have to do is die. We have to die to that which is ours and become His. We have to die to the desires of our hearts, but in this death there is new life. Paul says in Galatians, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Gal 2:20). When we finally decide to die, we truly begin to live.

The prayer of the Psalmist becomes my prayer – “Forgive my hidden faults…” The faults I have tried so hard to bury so that no one will think less of me. “Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me….” The sins I regret as soon as I commit them. The sins that take away from the only true life that I have – life in You. “Then I will be blameless, innocent of great transgression…” and free to live in you in such a way as to really experience life. “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.”

Just some musings from a traveling pilgrim.

0 comments: